Thursday, September 13, 2007

Names galore

I felt a little cocky after reading Kodi's Mom's post on embarrasing nicknames. After all she seemed to be winning on both the number and the embarrassing quality of her names. Therefore, when she tagged me I didn't view the upcoming post as onerous. In fact, it was more like 'give it to me baby', this was going to be easy. That is, until sanity returned. Squiggles is only 3 months old. Atleast Kodi's Mom can take refuge in the fact that Kodi has been around for much longer. Sigh, maybe I will need to eat my words.

So, here goes... you decide on who loses... Kodi's M or I? Anyone voting for Kodi's Mom gets a free glass of champagne.

Honey Puney Pie - This has been there from day one. I guess it reflects my obsession with food, especially sweets.



I didn't think I was an animal person until we came up with this one.



Froggie - because since she was born (dunno about the womb) she would jut her roly poly bum in the air, scrunch up her legs and sleep on her knees. Any attempts to straighten her legs would be fiercely resisted. She looked like a tiny frog. When she was really tiny she was also referred to as a tadpole (Yes, I will be deleting this post soon).



Bandar (Monkey), Bandariya (female monkey) - No, I don't know why we think she looks like a monkey. Maybe it's to do with the fact that she sort of leaves herself and lays there helplessly. Here judge for yourself.






Bandar ka baccha (Monkey's child) - I would like to clarify that here we were referring to DD ONLY. When referred to as my child she is usually called wonderful names like um... um... Sexy ki beti (Sexy's daughter) (Oooh blogging is so powerful... sexy sexy sexy mujhe log bolen).

Pumpkin - This is the most recent one really. And no it has nothing to do with her weight. I think it has to do with her cheeks. Touch wood.


Gappu - Again a cheeks thing. I think I am obsessed with her cheeks. I keep kissing them. In fact she's asleep now but I am seriously tempted to give in and smother her yet again... help me someone. What has happened to me??? I was weird but never this bad!


Her nanu uncle has also coined a name which is a play on her name which means rice and meat. It's not funny until you know the language but DD's reaction was "So, he's named her after a dead carcass. How disgusting is that?". Typical vegetarian brahmin reaction. The true non-veggie that I am, I can truly appreciate what a compliment that is since there can be nothing more divine than a delicious piece of mutton with rice *drool drool*.


Her Appaammai also calls her (name) kutty. My mom calls her (name) putty. Both mean a small girl (apparently). Her Atthai calls her Annie Baby.


Kuchie Moo, Kuchie Poo, Kuchu Muchu Puchu - Yes they don't make much sense to me either.


Imagine if she becomes famous and then this post finds it's way into the media. Oh what a laugh that would be.. for me!! She WILL kill me for this. Adieu friends, let's blog while we still have the chance.............................

10 comments:

Anusha said...

LOL! you win, you win :) for the bandar ka baccha and sexy ki betti one! what abt the name Squiggles? any history behind it?

and yea! I have to delete that silly post before it gets into paparazzi's hands!

Sukhaloka said...

Hey, nice to know another baby is being foisted with the nickname of "Bandariya"! Only Mum ever called me that, and.. erm.. since it's Mum *nodon'tdarelookdownatmefromheavenwhereican'treachuptohityou*, I .. er.. still think it's adorable.

I wuv "Sexy ki beti" too!
And my guess is that the nickname all-but-mentioned is "Biryani"? :D

agree with Kodi's Mom. What's the story behind the name "Squiggles"?

Maggie said...

Sexy ki beti! ROFLMAO

Umm...not because you're not sexy, but you know! :-p

Squiggles Mom said...

Kodi's Mom - You men I lose! I guess you miss out on the champagne after all :).

Suki - Sorry to disappoint but it's not Biryani. It's a play on the Kashmiri word for meat.. there's a big clue. Now you just need to find someone who speaks Kashmiri to figure it out :).

Both ladies - There isn't much behind the name squiggles really. Since i wasn't sure what I would be saying on my blog i wanted to keep it anonymous. And she always used to wriggle so much that I then ended up with Squiggles. Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

Moppet's Mom - Since you have seen me you do know how far from sexy i am at the moment! Give me 6 months and I shall live up to the name, meanwhile got to go and munch on some cookies...

Just Like That said...

Lol at Monkey (DD's) child and Sexy's (your) daughter!

Swati said...

Great post ..ofcourse Kodi's mom cannot beat you on Sexy ki Beti :D

I loved Gappu most ..coz..it suits her :)

Squiggles Mom said...

JLT - Monkey married Sexy. ROTFL

Swati - Yeah..Gappu's my favourite too.

Anusha said...

you're Kashmiri? how cool is that! squiggles is a perfect description for a wiggly baby :)

Squiggles Mom said...

Kodi's mom - half kashmiri :), half sindhi and married to a pure tam brahm. national integration at its best :))

Cantaloupes.Amma (CA) said...

Gappu is my favourite !