Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lessons be damned.

A few days ago DD and I were playing with Squiggles before her bed time. We were all playing with the ball together. Sometimes, she picks up things and hits people with them excitedly. When she does that normally I will say to her lightly, 'Be Gentle'. And she will usually calm down after I repeat it a couple of times.

That day, accidentally she hit me on my forehead with the ball, very close to my eye. To test her reaction and to teach her that her hitting could hurt other people, I scrunched up my face and pretended to cry. I told her she had hurt me. She stared at me for a couple of seconds and then suddenly her tiny little face changed and she had fat little tears in her eyes. She was crying earnestly. Obviously, I wasn't expecting that reaction! I felt so evil for making her cry like that. I told her that since she was sorry, it was ok and that she didn't need to cry. But she wouldn't stop! A lot of hugs and kisses later, she calmed down. But I continued to feel like a heel. She's only 15 months old. Lessons be damned.

4 comments:

DotThoughts said...

at 15 momths, hell yes :) Wait another year, wait another year :)

Aneela Z said...

oh dont worry...Im sure Squiqqles is giggling in her comforter as I type "this teaches the mother for trying to teach moi a lesson" (the student becomes the teacher.

Priyanka said...

Oh poor girl Squiggles :( Its always sad to see your mother cry, no matter how old you are.
Maybe a different strategy :)

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly...lessons can wait!